Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

WildCats and Shoremen Play to 2-2 Tie

Erick Cortez-Martinez on a follow through
Erick Cortez-Martinez had three saves in 65 minutes of game time and kept Washington off the scoreboard.

LYNCHBURG, Va.- Less than 24 hours after playing their first home game of the season, the Randolph men's soccer team was back on the field Saturday afternoon as they hosted Washington College at WildCat Stadium. The Shoremen proved to be a formidable opponent for the WildCats as the two teams played to a 2-2 tie.

Randolph controlled possession in the early moments of the contest as it got off three shots and were granted two corner kicks. It was Washington, however, that took the lead just inside of the 12th minute. That advantage was short-lived as the WildCats answered immediately when Adam Watson (Midlothian, Va./Midlothian) took a deep shot from 20 yards out and put it in top shelf to knot the game at 1-1.

The score would remain 1-1 until 16:12. Washington's James Strine was able to beat WildCat keeper Austin Collier (Chesapeake, Va./Hickory)to give the Shoremen back the lead at 2-1.

Both teams tightened up on defense for the remainder of the frame. Washington had two shots on goal but Collier was there to deny entry as the Shoremen held on to their 2-1 advantage at the break.

In the second half, Erick Cortez-Martinez (Winston-Salem, N.C./North Forsyth) came on to relieve Collier in the net. He was able the keep the Shoremen at bay with a pair of big saves. Randolph finally had an answer when Gunnar Copeland (Carrollton, Va./Smithfield) passed to Watson up the middle and he followed through for the score to knot the contest at 2-2.

Both teams hurried as the minutes ticked down to try to get a potential game-winning shot. Watson had a header with six seconds left go wide as the game went into an extra period.

In both overtimes, neither team was able to get a shot on frame. Washington came close in the 108th minute as Strine's attempt deflected off the crossbar and back onto the field of play.

For the second straight game, Randolph had the upper hand in total shots with a 19-11 advantage. Corner kicks were 8-4 favoring the WildCats.

Both Collier and Cortez-Martinez had three saves. Cortez-Martinez pitched a shutout for the final 65 minutes of game time.

The game was a bit chippy as there were a total of 21 fouls called with 14 on Washington and seven on Randolph. Five yellow cards were also handed out.

The WildCats next travel to Christopher Newport on Wednesday to play the Captains. Game time from Newport News will be at 5:00 p.m.