Skip to navigation Skip to content Skip to footer

Brown Leads Three in Double-Figures as ’Cats Beat CMU 73-70

Brown Leads Three in Double-Figures as ’Cats Beat CMU 73-70

For immediate release – 12/11/2015 - #138
Brown Leads Three in Double-Figures as 'Cats Beat CMU 73-70

HUTINGDON, PACorey Brown scored 14 points, while Remele Hicks and Josh Freund added 13 and 10 respectively as the Randolph College men's basketball team defeated Carnegie Mellon University 73-70.  The win came in the first game of the Doc Greene Tournament on Friday.

Freund and Ryan Fields got the WildCats going, both scoring in the first 1:20 of the game.  After the Tartans responded, Rhyle Scott took back the lead.  CMU tallied five straight, and nine of 11 to take a 14-8 lead.  But Brown hit four free throws around another Carnegie Mellon basket to bring the deficit down to four.  Scott followed it with another layup to bring Randolph within two.

The two teams traded baskets until Kemal Dincer expanded the Tartan lead to 26-18 with a free throw.  The 'Cats responded with 10 of the next 13.  Fields started off the run with another layup.  Scott followed it with a make from the charity stripe, before Fields hit from behind the arc.  Zach Desgain sunk two of his own to bring Randolph within one, but Ryan Maha converted a traditional three-point play to give Carnegie Mellon a 32-28 lead at the half.

Coming out of the intermission, Jason Sebak hit a three for CMU, but the WildCats took off on a run.  Brown hit a three of his own, before Hicks scored five in-a-row to give Randolph the 36-35 lead.  The Tartans stormed back and retook the lead and pushed it to 45-40 after another Sebak three-point field goal.

But the 'Cats responded to this Sebak three in the same manner as the previous one.  Brown sunk two from the charity stripe, before Desgain hit a jumper inside the arc.  Jason Eddie forced a turnover and then hit a three on the other end to give Randolph the lead back.  It would not last for long as Carnegie Mellon scored five straight.

Once again the teams exchanged points, until Maha hit another shot from behind the arc to put the Tartans up 58-55.  However Desgain hit a layup soon after, and Brown took the advantage back for the WildCats with a pair from the line with 4:32 left.  It gave the 'Cats the lead for good.

Randolph extended the advantage to 66-60 after another layup by Desgain with 1:19 left.  CMU did not go quietly as the deficit was cut to two 26 seconds later.  However, the WildCats made five free throws over the remaining time to seal the three point victory.

Brown had a great shooting day on his way to the 14 points.  He was 2-4 from the field, made his only three-point attempt, and went 9-10 from the line.  He also added team highs of five rebounds and four assists in the win.  Hicks' 13 points is a career-high.  The well balanced scoring was also highlighted by a 50% shooting day for the team.

Jack Serbin led the Tartans (4-3 overall) with game-highs of 16 points and 16 rebounds.  Maha added 14 and Sebak scored 10.

Randolph (6-1) will play in the tournament championship at Juniata College on Saturday at 4 p.m.  The WildCats will play the winner of the nightcap between the hosts and Penn State University at York.